The current post presents an overview of the Azure container services, as of early May 2022. Generally speaking, containers are an evolution to virtualization solutions and fall under the Azure Compute Services category. Given the dynamic nature of public clouds, this list will most likely change soon in the near future but nevertheless acts as a general point of reference when discussing Azure containers services. You find an overview of all Azure service categories at https://stefanos.cloud/blog/azure-service-categories/.
Fast, scalable parameter storage for app configuration
Azure Kubernetes Service (AKS)
Deploy and scale containers on managed Kubernetes
Azure Red Hat OpenShift
Deploy and scale containers on managed Red Hat OpenShift
Azure Container Apps
Build and deploy modern apps and microservices using serverless containers
Execute event-driven serverless code with an end-to-end development experience
Web App for Containers
Run containerized web apps on Windows and Linux
Azure Container Instances
Launch containers with hypervisor isolation
Azure Service Fabric
Deploy and operate always-on, scalable, distributed apps
Azure Container Registry
Build, store, secure, and replicate container images and artifacts
Azure container services architecture considerations
Microsoft provides a handful of useful resources for architecting Azure container solutions in the Azure Architecture Center. Such an example is the architecture blueprint of Azure Hybrid Containers available at https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/azure/architecture/hybrid/hybrid-containers.
Becoming certified in Azure container services
The most relevant certifications begin with Azure Fundamentals (AZ-900 exam) and continue with the following exams and certifications:
- AZ-400 Create and manage containers using Docker and Kubernetes (https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/learn/certifications/exams/az-400)
- Windows Server Hybrid Administrator Associate (https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/learn/certifications/windows-server-hybrid-administrator/)
- Azure Administrator Associate (https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/learn/certifications/exams/az-104)
Microsoft offers free MS Learn courses on Azure container services:
- Introduction to Docker containers: https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/learn/modules/intro-to-docker-containers/
- Administer containers in Azure: https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/learn/paths/administer-containers-in-azure/
- AZ-400 Create and manage containers using Docker and Kubernetes: https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/learn/paths/az-400-create-manage-containers-using-docker-kubernetes/
You can also download the free AKS book provided by Microsoft at https://azure.microsoft.com/en-us/resources/kubernetes-ebook-collection/.
1 thought on “Azure container services overview”
Comments are closed.