World Backup Day – 31st March
World Backup Day is a day for people to learn about the increasing role of data in our lives and the importance of regular backups. This independent initiative to raise awareness about backups and data preservation started out on reddit by a couple of concerned users.
The World Backup Day is on March 31st! It’s not only a day for backing up your personal data, but it’s also a day to talk about the enormous task of preserving our increasingly digital heritage and cultural works for future generations. The World Backup Day initiative is aiming to reach those who have never backed up in their life, and might not even know what backup is! A good backup plan will be continuous and include multiple layers to not only recover your data but also include steps for data preservation.
What can the average administrator (and end-user) take backup of on a daily basis? The list of backup target devices includes but is not limited to the following:
- Physical machines (mobile devices, servers and workstations)
- Virtual machines under any supported hypervisor
- Containers under any supported container platform
- SQL databases
- Non-SQL databases
- Files and folders under any supported file system
What are some well-known backup services vendors? A list of respected backup vendors includes but is not limited to the following:
- Microsoft Azure Backup
- IBM Cloud Backup and Spectrum Protect
- Acronis True Image
- Acronis Cyber Protect and Acronis Cloud Storage
- Veeam Backup and Replication
- NAS backup appliance provides, including QNAP and Synology
The following quick videos from Acronis and Veeam provide an overview of the World Backup Day motivation.