The foundation of the Technical University dates back to 1837 (in fact, to 1836 according to the calendar which was in effect at that time), which is just few years after the foundation of the modern Greek State. At that time, the “Royal School of Arts” was founded in the most elementary form of educational institution, as a municipal school of technical education. The “School”, in its initial form, operated only on Sundays and bank holidays. It offered courses for technicians (workmen, head workmen, builders). Soon it became known as “Polytechnion”.
During the first years of the modern Greek state there were no established methods for the education of engineers or even craftsmen. Thus, the foundation of the first faculty of technical education was a decisive step towards the formation of the technical and technological future of the country.
The number of prospective students was so great, despite the remote location of the region, so that in spring 1840 a school of continuous (daily) operation was also added to the Sunday school. The courses were extended and their number increased. Then “Polytechnion” was established in an independent building in Piraeus road. The zeal of students and teachers helped the school develop and rise to its modern level.