When running the SQL Server clustered instance installation wizard, you may come across the following error: “The cluster resource [SQL SERVER NAME] could not be brought online due to an error bringing the dependency resource ‘SQL Network Name([NETWORKNAME]) online. Refer to the Cluster Events in the Failover Cluster Manager for more information. Click Retry to retry the failed action, or click Cancel to cancel this action and continue setup.
When the Windows Failover Cluster (WFC) is initially configured a Cluster Name object (CNO) will be created. The CNO is visible as a computer object in the Activity Directory Users and Computer snap-in (dsa.msc). By default the CNO will be created in the Computers container and granted specific permissions. After a successful SQL Server FCI installation you will also see a Virtual Computer Object (VCO) for the SQL Server Network Name. After the CNO is created any additional Network Name resource in the cluster is considered a Virtual Computer Object. VCOs are Computer objects in which the CNO has permissions to change the properties or reset the password.
Follow the steps below on the domain controller:
- Run dsa.msc.
- Activate DSA Advanced Features.
- Create a new computer object (VCO) for the SQL Server instance which throws the error (if not already created).
- Right click on the new object created and click Properties.
- On the Security tab, click Add. Click Object Types and make sure that Computers is selected, then click OK.
- Type the name of the cluster name object (CNO) and click OK. Select the CNO and under Permissions click Allow for the required permissions. Clone/copy existing permissions from an existing SQL VCO. Or Check the “Sources” section of this article for more details on the required permissions.
- Disable the VCO by right clicking. This action is the pre-staging of the VCO.